My Mom-in-law was a fabulous cook and adored entertaining. Since I am a chocaholic, she would always ask what I would like for supper and I would say, “Definitely chocolate mousse!” I think she got tired of us always wanting the same thing but this recipe is truly yummy!
It is a miracle in itself that I have a recipe to share, as Dianne Webb never used a recipe! If you asked her how to make anything it was a dash of this and a couple of those. Its a wonder that she managed to produce delicious meals and not forget an ingredient. So without further ado, here it is.
170g chocolate (any kind; I use dark or milk depending on my mood)
2 tablespoons of cream (can be exchanged for coconut cream to avoid dairy)
2 teaspoons of rum or brandy (depending on your tastes; Di loved using brandy)
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie, or in a bowl over a pot of water.
- Crack and separate the eggs.
- Whip the egg whites until they stand as proud as peaks.
- Stir the cream and rum/brandy into the melted chocolate mixture.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat the yolks into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Once completely combined, pour into a serving bowl or four ramekins or two large wine glasses.
- Chill in the fridge until time to serve.
You can then decorate with whatever you like. Traditionally the Webb family loves cream and grated chocolate. You can also use fruit, whippedcream, nuts or astros and smarties for kids. Enjoy!