This was a birthday party staple when I was a child. It was so delicious and moist that there was never any left.
It is very easy to make and so versatile. You can make it in a rectangular baking tin and cut into squares, make it as cupcakes or even as a traditional round layered cake.
3 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1½ teaspoons of salt
12 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of vinegar
3 tablespoons of vanilla essence
2 cups of cold water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease your baking pans or lay your cupcake wrappers out.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir them up.
- Make three holes in the dry ingredients to keep the wet ingredients separate: 1st hole- oil, 2nd hole- vinegar, and 3rd hole- vanilla essence.
- Start mixing and slowly add the water.
- Mix until completely combined and the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Pour into your baking tins and bake for about 25 mins.
Once the cake has cooled you can ice appropriately. I personally like buttercream icing. It is my absolute favorite and you can color it to make your cake look pretty.
175g of butter (at room temperature so its nice and soft)
350g of icing sugar
½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
Food coloring of your choice… add as much as you need for the desired color
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla essence and food coloring.
- Beat until fully combined and then apply to your cake.