My favorite chicken soup
This recipe is an all time favorite for me and is an essential during flu season. Whenever I was sick as a child my Mom would make me chicken soup, and so to this day, that is exactly what I want when I am sick. Given the challenges we are currently facing with the global pandemic of the novel corona virus, COVID19, I thought many of you may appreciate this recipe in the weeks to come. It may not have magic curative effects however if you make a batch and freeze it in portions… it will at least, help sustain and comfort you while you take the time to heal.
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, minced or 3 teaspoons of crushed garlic
500g boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
2/3 cup frozen peas
*NOTE* Fresh herbs and spices are the best but if unavailable use dried
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 chicken stock cubes
6 cups water
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup couscous
- Place a large pot over medium high heat and add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Add in ginger, turmeric, chicken stock, water, chicken breast, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then stir in couscous. Ensure the chicken is covered by the broth, by stirring it down to the bottom.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board to shred with two forks. Once shredded, add it back into the pot then stir in frozen peas.
- If you need more broth, then add in another cup of water or two and stock cube. Season to taste.
Stay safe and healthy!